criminalizing youth

kelley oudies at flash.net
Mon Sep 20 20:47:15 PDT 1999

the statistical analysis of quaisicausal correlations doesn't capture "social structure" demographic stats are about individuals, not social structres or groups. they are, rather, models of statistical theory and, as such, have little to do with social theory. as such they are complicit with and produce social engineering knowledge that reproduces the status quo. [habermas, fay, etc]

the approach, then, is fundamentally at odds with a critical social theory which focuses on society in terms of the systemic and social relations which constitute it. subjects are subjects in relations with others and with and within forms of social organization. individuals, that is, participate in groups, communities, classes, institutions, discourses, etc.

statistical modeling abstracts individuals from this social context and creates abstract aggregates of various populations characterized by certain "variables" thought to be salient. this has nothing to do with social structure, again, but statistical modeling. the only thing captured by such research are discrete individuals and their "opinions" or educational attainment" or "health" or whatever indicator happens to be popular as a "trace" of individual behavior and, in turn, it is assumed "social health" etc.

moroever, the 'individuals' that compose the "sample" are, by definintion, independent of one another. etc etc. by definition, then, they aren't understood as fundamentally constituted by social relations but only become objects of investigation by abstracting them from such social relations.

there are ways of doing quantitative analysis--mathematical modeling of social structure--so i'm not providing a blanket condemnation of statistics/demography. i have refs from my methods chap if you want them rakesh, but i am too lazy right now to retrieve them. let me know. kelley