East Timor, Kosovo, and Kuwait

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Sep 21 08:20:09 PDT 1999

Nathan wrote:
>The difference is that just as I admit that capitalist states can
>occasionally be pressured domestically for reforms of that same brutality,
>they can also occasionally take actions that on net are an improvement on
>the general brutality that lies at the regime of global capital.
<snip>
>Do you also oppose the National Health Service as an imperialist occupation
>of the health care of poor citizens?

It is typical of American liberals & social democrats to think of the entire world as their 'domestic' affairs. For people with such a worldview, I suppose Nathan's analogy (i.e. a military invasion in foreign policy is a "reform" analogous to universal health care in domestic policy) makes sense. For me, it represents a return to the Fabian Imperialism. Nathan thinks that an empire can and should undertake a *civilizing mission* to "reform" the brutality of global capital that it imposes ("actions that on net are an improvement on the general brutality that lies at the regime of global capital"). He should go ahead and say so. He ought to own up to his missionary position and call it by its proper name.

Keep in mind that there is (and has been) much brutality in Peru, Columbia, Russia, etc. -- nearly everywhere. Nathan has no reason to limit his advocacy to only East Timor & Kosovo. Why, he should be arguing for a military intervention (be it unilateral, NATO, or U.N.) wherever and whenever brutality exists.

Yoshie