Stupid question about Iraq

Jason Zanon jzanon at ncadp.org
Tue Sep 21 15:39:57 PDT 1999

I don't want to freight this question with any baggage about correct politics or anything like that; it's an honest query: why is it that the ruler of Iraq is referred to in common parlance, even in the press, as "Saddam" when it would be SOP to call a high-profile individual by their last name in most any other situation? I seem to recall that this moniker was bequeathed as a derogatory by Bush the Elder and minions in some weak attempt to slur him simultaneously in English and Arabic. Anyone that can shed a bit of light on this?

Jason