more on Goldsmith, etc.

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 21 16:57:30 PDT 1999

A close friend of mine had this experience with Oliver Goldsmith, James' brother, editor of the Ecologist. She was researching a programme about ecology, that was critical of the environmental movement. After it went out, many of those interviewed complained to the watchdog, the Independent Television Council that they had not been alerted to the slant of the programme.

Oliver Goldsmith insisted that he had not been told what it was about. When asked, my friend said, yes, you were told, I spent the afternoon talking to you. Goldsmith insisted that he had never met this person. But, says my friend, I have four pages of notes on your thoughts. Up to this point, all the discussion had been through lawyers, but now Goldsmith rang up direct and started screaming down the phone, why are you telling these lies about me, we have never met. Yes we have, says my friend I have the notes. You forged them he says. But don't you remember you gave me a plate of plums? At this point Goldsmith goes ballistic: I'll destroy you. You'll never work again. I'll have you followed. I am a very rich man and I can break you just like that. It's true of course, Oliver Goldsmith is very rich, having inherited his brother's fortune - and his willingness to use threats.

In message <v04210119b40d765ce11a@[166.84.250.86]>, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes

-- Jim heartfield