East Timor, Kosovo, and Kuwait

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 22 07:47:06 PDT 1999

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Whether we are talking about the Landless Workers Movement in Brazil, the
>Indonesian labor movement, the South Korean democracy movement, or the
>upsurge of latino power in California, there are incredibly dramatic
>examples of movements that have continued to grow globally.

I alternate between thinking that these are promising examples of a newer left - popularly rooted and democratic - and thinking that their very dispersion and specificity, untied to any broader vision or strategy of radical transformation, is itself symptomatic of the weakness of the left. What have the Zapatistas, for all their charm and promise, really achieved? They've certainly seduced lots of intellectuals by their stylish antistatism, but can they really challenge the Mexican army and U.S. capital?

Doug