cars and racism/sexism

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Wed Sep 22 10:29:50 PDT 1999

> As far as sexism is concerned, driving is still the
> patriarchal domain of
> the male. Surely, there are woman drivers, bhut if a man and
> a woman are
> in the car together - it is usually the male who does the
> driving.

My hat's off to you, Wojtek, for your powerful anti-car manifesto. However, I must note there is at least one striking exception to the patriarchal dominance cited here -- myself. Whenever my wife and I drive together, she almost always takes the wheel, because (1) she actually enjoys driving and (2) I drive too slowly for her. I feel not the slightest tinge of macho resentment and am most grateful to be relieved of what I see as a chore, plain and simple.

Carl -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/19990922/9328991e/attachment.htm>