pollution is other people

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Sep 22 11:18:56 PDT 1999

At 10:58 AM 9/22/99 -0700, DENNIS_CLAXTON at fragomen.com wrote:

>Jim wrote:
>
>>isn't it plain that people drive because they want to?...You don't have to
>make that >journey - you want to.
>

>I tried to make it plain that much if not most of the driving I do in los
>angeles is because I have to. I drive from here to Nashville because I
>want to. I drive to get around town because I have to. Aren't you
>throwing out data that doesn't fit your model?

Ditto. About 90% of my driving in Baltimore is because I have to - I have to get to work, I have to buy groceries or clothing, etc. and have no other alternatives available.

Most of my "want-to" journeys - e.g. visting family of friends or going to a pub - involve public transportation (bus, subway, Amtrak or airlines) only when it is impossible to get there by other means, i decide to drive.

BTW, the "want-to" argument from a marxist is shocking. By the same logic, we can argue that there is nothing wrong with capitalism because workers would not be working for their minumum wages if they did not want to.

wojtek