The uncertain path of scientific progress

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Sep 22 12:03:02 PDT 1999

Presumably possible reason for the reported reluctance for testing the remaining frozen stocks of polio vaccine is the possible legal ramifications if Hooper's hypothesis was to be confirmed. One can easily imagine lawsuits demanding literally billions of dollars in damages being filed by AIDS victims. And no doubt many African governments would also be filing lawsuits to compensate for the devastation that AIDS has caused in their countries. Under such circumstances some of the great pharmaceutical houses could be driven into bankruptcy under the pressure of lawsuits not to speak of any of the other parties that were involved in either the development or the testing of the polio vaccines.

Jim F.

___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.