Australian pressure to intervene

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Wed Sep 22 13:16:23 PDT 1999

Actually this bit about threatening to cut off intelligence raises an interesting point that I have rarely seen commented on on the internet, although I certainly heard plenty about it when I was in OZ. That is that a major reason for support for Australia to become a republic derives from the unnerving experience of having Henry Kissinger overthrow an Australian government back in the 1970s through the Queen's governor general disbanding it, which authority he retains as long as Austrialia is not a republic. The reason for the overthrow had to do with Kissinger's unhappiness with Australia not being fully cooperative in allowing the US NSA to operate out of Pine Ridge (name not exactly right?) observation post.

So, this issue of intelligence sharing is an old one. Been there, done that. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: rc-am <rcollins at netlink.com.au> To: lbo <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Wednesday, September 22, 1999 2:08 PM Subject: Re: Australian pressure to intervene