central planning

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Wed Sep 22 20:15:54 PDT 1999

The Microsoft anti-trust trial wound to a close Tuesday. The judge should provide a findings of fact before Thanksgiving and give a verdict a couple of weeks after that. Wednesday's New York Times had a piece on it in the Business section and the last three paragraphs were interesting, I thought.

<quote> Alluding to one possible remedy should Microsoft be found guilty -- giving the Government a role in product development -- he [Microsoft defense attorney] said, "I think all of us agree that central planning is bad."

In his rebuttal, Boies [government prosecutor] took up that line and said, "I agree that central planning is bad." The judge then allowed that he, too, opposed "central planning."

To which Boies added, "Central planning is bad -- by Governments, and by monopolies." <endquote>