Dennis, Alex, Bill, Stephen

Thu Sep 23 07:00:21 PDT 1999

>Jim heartfield wrote:
>
> >Want an acceptable formula for 'too many people'? Try 'too many cars'.
> >That neat sublimation of your anti-mass intent will disguise the
> >misanthropic meaning, just enough to allow you to communicate your
> >hatred of working people to your fellows.
>
>Not at all. I'm militantly anti-Malthusian. I like people. I like big
>cities where lots of people are collected, which is why I live in
>one. I hate cars though. They foul the air, kill lots of people, and
>lead to the creation of hideous and atomizing expressways and malls.
>The city I live in is home to half carless households in the U.S.
>that are above the poverty line. There aren't many other places in
>the U.S. you can live without a car unless you want to walk 3 miles
>lugging your groceries.
>
>Doug

> >Berkeley Residents Refuse to Do Their Part to Stop Sprawl
> >
> >After a public hearing dominated by negative testimony, the Berkeley
> >Planning Commission has rejected a proposed smart-growth land-use
> >plan for the California city. The plan called for greatly increasing
> >residential densities in order to accommodate 13,000 new people.
> >
> >Planners say that the plan is needed to maintain a walkable community
> >and to "encourage sufficient new construction to meet Berkeley's fair
> >share of regional housing needs." Local residents maintain that the
> >plan will "destroy" Berkeley "by bulldozing neighborhoods and
> >over-building in the name of progress."
> >
> >Among other things, residents objected to the tall buildings allowed
> >by the plan--up to 12 to 14 stories in many places. Height limits
> >were tripled or quadrupled in many neighborhoods. "People would be
> >mystified to wake up and walk down College Avenue"--a busy, narrow
> >thoroughfare surrounded by one- and two-story structures--"and find
> >four-story buildings," commented Nancy Carleton, the chair of
> >Berkeley's zoning board.
> >
> >Much of Berkeley was only recently rezoned. When the planning
> >commission authorized city planners to prepare a new draft plan, they
> >specified that the staff should not "re-invent the wheel." Yet
> >planners emphasized the latest in smart-growth planning:
> >high-density, mixed-use developments.
> >
> >The plan increases densities in much of the city. Residents
> >particularly objected to density increases in popular shopping areas
> >such as Solano Street and Elmwood. These are streets of older store
> >fronts filled with restaurants, boutiques, and other businesses, and
> >are already heavily congested.
> >
> >Local activist Becky O'Malley blames developers for the plan.
> >"Speculators hiding behind the smart-growth banner have started
> >drawing their bullseyes on attractive viable cities like San
> >Francisco and Berkeley," she says.
> >
> >O'Malley admits that the smart-growth goals and strategies identified
> >in the plan are "laudable." But she says that, "What it should say,
> >however, is that 'we're proposing a massive increase in population
> [...]

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- "Now 'in the long run' this [way of summarizing the quantity theory of money] is probably true.... But this long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. **In the long run** we are all dead. Economists set themselves too easy, too useless a task if in tempestuous seasons they can only tell us that when the storm is long past the ocean is flat again."

--J.M. Keynes -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- J. Bradford De Long; Professor of Economics, U.C. Berkeley; Co-Editor, Journal of Economic Perspectives. Dept. of Economics, U.C. Berkeley, #3880 Berkeley, CA 94720-3880 (510) 643-4027; (925) 283-2709 phones (510) 642-6615; (925) 283-3897 faxes http://econ161.berkeley.edu/ <delong at econ.berkeley.edu>