Suck meets the anti-ironist

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 23 10:06:12 PDT 1999

Today's Suck, an epicenter of irony, interviews anti-ironist Jedediah Purdy:

"While professional jealousy has long been the scrip in which Suck pays its staff, even we were taken aback by the mother lode of <http://www.observer.com/cgi-win/homepage.exe?nyo1/br082399spite>, bile, and gall unearthed by the sudden success of <http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~cellar/winter97/purdy.htmlJedediah> Purdy, the home schooled Harvard man whose book For Common Things: Irony, Trust, and Commitment in America Today has cashed in so handsomely on the pundit-invented trend away from sarcasm and toward deep sincerity. Frankly, having gotten behind the <http://www.suck.com/daily/97/03/18/irony> backlash and dipped our behinds in the <http://www.suck.com/daily/98/10/26/new> earnestness back when it wasn't cool, we expected to get at least an appearance on public access out of the deal. We also recognized a rare opportunity to beat up on a seemingly defenseless punching bag. Sadly, while we can't recommend the book, the open secret is that there's hardly anything about irony in it. We suspect a put-up job, in which the young snake charmer has managed to tie himself to the media's hot air balloon. We were determined to get the story straight from the young bard himself."

The rest is at <http://www.suck.com>.

Doug