City on Fire: Comments by Lou Proyect

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Thu Sep 23 17:23:02 PDT 1999

> For those unhappy souls who couldn't go listen to Michael Hoover & Lisa
> Stokes in New York, here's Lou's report. Fore more on HK cinema, read
> _City on Fire_. Yoshie
>
> Louis Proyect:
> Michael and Lisa spoke at a Hong Kong twin bill at the Anthology of Film
> Archives yesterday afternoon. In the audience was Doug Henwood, who told me
> that he had never seen a Hong Kong movie before. I assured him that he
> would at least find the experience unforgettable. There would be no
> mistaking John Woo's "Bullet to the Head," which Doug squirmed through from
> beginning to end, for an Eric Rohmer movie.

Lisa and I had the pleasure of meeting Doug and his wife in NYC last weekend and it was great to finally do so after years of e-mail. I have much respect for Doug's work. Lisa was familiar with his articles in *Nation* and other places, plus, she's heard me talk him up. Doug even had a hand (which he may not remember) in facilitating our relationship with Verso that needs to be acknowledged. So big thanks for that. Unfortunately, Lisa and I were pressed for time and did not get to spend nearly the time visiting that we would have liked. But I'm sure we'll cross paths again in actual, not just virtual, space.

And once again, a big shout-out to Yoshie. She's a great friend and companera who has, among other things, helped me to better understand filmic representations. Her presence is there on pages of _City on Fire_ (perhaps she'll recall some of our conversations and recognize the origins for some of what appears in the book). Words really can't convey the thanks I want to express.

btw: I take a bit of credit for Doug & Lou's reconciliation and hope that it's not just temporary. Michael Hoover