FW: slavery reparations

DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com
Fri Sep 24 02:45:48 PDT 1999

>i was reading the WSJ today and Al Hunt's column did a thing on Bill
Bradley. >He noted an event at
>which BB appeared with Al Sharpton and said something about BB wisely not
>supporting reparations.
>
>Whats the establishment reasoning against reparations of some sort (not
>necessarilly cash payments)
>to descendents of slaves?

This is a very interesting question. Whatever the establishment reasoning turns out to be, I would have thought that the recent settlements between the World Jewish Council and various German companies and banks over slave-labour cases must have significantly weakened it.

If I were an uptown lawyer with a bit of spare time and an eye for the main chance, I'd be tricking around to see which banks and insurance companies were around in the slave era. I know that Nationsbank wasn't (shame), but I guess a lot of the Brit banks must have lent to plantations big-time. It's also the case that Warren Buffet's vehicle, Berkshire Hathaway is built on the ashes of an old textiles company, but I don't know if it goes back as far as slave cotton. Interesting stuff.

dd

___________________________________________________________________________ _____

This email is confidential to the ordinary user of the

e-mail address to which it was addressed. If you are not

the intended recipient, please notify the sender

IMMEDIATELY on (44) 171 638 5858 and delete the message

from all locations in your computer. You should not copy

this email or use it for any purpose, or disclose its

contents to any person : to do so may be unlawful.

Email is an informal method of communication and is

subject to possible data corruption, either accidentally

or on purpose. Flemings is unable to exercise control

over the content of information contained in

transmissions made via the Internet. For these reasons

it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information

contained on email without obtaining written confirmation

of it.