U.S. foreign debt

David Welch welch at cwcom.net
Sat Sep 25 19:55:00 PDT 1999

Silly question, but doesn't an increase in US foreign debt imply that US capital is flowing abroad, purchasing real assets and hence foreign countries accumulate dollar claims? So we can infer that profit rates are too low in the US but large enough elsewhere for a successful expansion (otherwise why would capital move abroad). Assuming profit rates are maintained and the US has the military muscle to keep other countries from adopting Malaysian like financial controls, couldn't foreign debt be expanded indefinitely?