U.S. foreign debt

Sun Sep 26 17:56:43 PDT 1999

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>
> > I've just put up a graph with "deep caption," as they say at Vanity
> > Fair, on the growth of U.S. foreign debt - $1.3 trillion in fresh
> > borrowing during the Clinton years alone:
>
>In your comments there you note, "But those are weak countries, not an
>imperial colossus. What happens to a colossus when it gets cut off
>is very hard to predict."

Two scenarios:

First, when the "cutoff" occurs the dollar falls by some large share of its value as demand for dollar-denominated assets tanks, we get to see exactly how good our central bank is at guiding expenditure shifting, but when the dust clears we find that (a) foreign portfolio investors in the U.S. have lost perhaps 1/3 of the real value of investments, (b) U.S. consumption has shrunk some (but U.S. savings has increased), (c) U.S. investment is down some, and (d) U.S. exports are up a lot.

Second, when the "cutoff" occurs we suddenly discover that a lot of portfolio investment in the U.S. is either denominated in dollars or else that New York institutions have written a lot of derivatives insuring foreign investors against a dollar decline.

In which case, all hell breaks loose...

Brad DeLong, who is 90% on scenario 1, 10% on scenario 2...