Marx on free trade

Mr P.A. Van Heusden pvanheus at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Mon Sep 27 04:42:43 PDT 1999

On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, Doug Henwood wrote:

[snip]

> Moreover, the protectionist system is nothing but a means of
> establishing large-scale industry in any given country, that is to say,
> of making it dependent upon the world market, and from the moment that
> dependence upon the world market is established, there is already more
> or less dependence upon free trade.

For a graphic illustration of this, read the chapter on the development of oil-funded industry ('modernisation') in Iran in 'Oil and class struggle' (1979, edited by Petter Nore and Terisa Turner). Or read 'The Wheat Trap' by Gunilla Andrae and Bjorn Beckman through Marxist eyes.

In line with the angle Yoshie and Carrol have articulated on imperialism, I think we need to stop playing problem solver for the bosses.

The situation we face at the moment is a situation where the vast majority of working people worldwide have illusions in their national bosses. Our job should be to demystify what the bosses are doing - to always point at how the bosses hold the whip, rather than helping one fraction in the hope that things will get better.

I'd like to re-iterate Doug's question to Patrick (but not aimed at Patrick) - what will the immigration policy be under protectionism?

All blocks of capital I see (Japan, the US, the EU, South Africa (which is imperialist with regards to the SADC region)) draw a line around their borders, and say 'no illegals' - i.e. they develop a superstructure of 'surplus meaning' which seeks to justify their economic bloc. My experience of speaking to one of my fellow strikers at the University of the Western Cape, and being told how 'immigrants are taking our jobs', and then in the next breath being regaled with stories of how some bosses are better than others I think is a clear illustration of the link between illegality on the one hand, and legitimacy on the other.

The only line possible - if we believe in a 'ruthless criticism of everything existing' - is a ruthless criticism of how capital uses national boundaries. I'll happily embrace protectionism the day I see protectionism without xenophobia, and without a call to accomodate the bosses interests. Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to see anything like that in any capitalist state.

Peter -- Peter van Heusden : pvanheus at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk : PGP key available Criticism has torn up the imaginary flowers from the chain not so that man shall wear the unadorned, bleak chain but so that he will shake off the chain and pluck the living flower. - Karl Marx