Marx on free trade

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Mon Sep 27 14:09:47 PDT 1999

When I have read more careful critiques of NAFTA and the WTO, the more pungent point, including the unhappiness of US organized labor seems to end up focusing on free capital mobility. Although US auto and steel workers have had unpleasant experiences in recent decades with imports cutting jobs, what is holding back wage demands is the threat that the boss is going to close down the shop and move to (wherever).

Personally I have a lot of sympathy with the position of Jagdish Bhagwati: pro-free trade, anti-free capital mobility.

After all, Ross Perot was wrong. Unemployment did not soar in the US after NAFTA was adopted. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Max Sawicky <sawicky at epinet.org> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Monday, September 27, 1999 11:14 AM Subject: RE: Marx on free trade