Marx on free trade

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Mon Sep 27 14:28:03 PDT 1999

Doug, while you have a point here -- Certainly JfJ was a landmark success -- the real threat of NAFTA et al is not lowering of tariffs (i.e., conventional free trade) but the supranational bodies that can take actions overriding national law. I suspect that these powers represent the real threat of trade agreements.

In short, if NAFTA were one paragraph long, just lowering tariffs, it would have been a non-event. Unfortunately, it was much longer.

--

Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University michael at ecst.csuchico.edu Chico, CA 95929 530-898-5321 fax 530-898-5901