Marx on free trade

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 27 11:14:33 PDT 1999

In message <199909271604.MAA06423 at fn3.freenet.tlh.fl.us>, Michael Hoover <hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us> writes

>Controlling capital will depend upon whether a 'class in itself' of
>international laborers and wage-earners becomes a 'class for itself.'

I seem to remember that somewhere in Hal Draper's many volumes on Marx, he says that Marx never counterposed 'class in itself' and 'class for itself', but 'mass in itself' and class for itself': the point being that until it was self-oriented, the class would not be a class but merely an atomised mass. However, I have long since lost the relevant volume so can't confirm.

-- Jim heartfield