Malcolm X on paying dues

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Mon Sep 27 20:16:20 PDT 1999

It is from Malcolm X's speech at the Organization of Afro-American Unity Founding Rally. Quoted from BY WHATEVER MEANS NECESSARY (Pathfinder 1992), p. 58-60.

Although Malcolm's point was more than symbolism. He argued that organizations of black folks failed from having such low dues (like the NAACP) that they had to turn to elite foundations for support, which forced them to moderate their views and demands. The harshest quote is:

"Because any time you have an organization that costs $2.50 a year to belong to [namely the NAACP], it means that that organization has to turn in another direction for funds. And this is what castrates it. Because as soon as the white liberals begin to support it, they tell it what to do and what not to do."

The whole passage is one of my favorites from Malcolm, since it is a kick in the head to a lot of progressive non-profits that avoid fund-raising among the poor- and end up in hock to the foundations agenda.

--Nathan Newman