Marx on free trade

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 28 06:41:41 PDT 1999

>Does being exploited or oppressed somehow give one a better
>purchase on how the world works?
>
>Russell
> >>>>>>>>>>

>No, but being oppressed plus having a brain creates the
>possibility that the oppressed have some idea of what
>the trouble is, and what to do about it.
>
>mbs

It's amazing how capitalism can alienate even those who do quite well by it, such as American doctors, who have an average net income of over $160,000 a year. A front-page article in today's Wall Street Journal reports that U.S. doctors increasingly identify themselves as Democrats rather than Republicans because of the loss of autonomy they've experienced under managed care.

What impressed me was the type of language used by one physician quoted in this article, viz.: "'Republicans represent capital and Democrats represent labor,' says Dr. [David] Duffner, the Tyler [Tex.] orthopedist. 'Physicians used to be capital, but now we're labor in the view of managed care. We're fungible commodities. So if they drop one doctor from a [managed care] contract, they just get another, even if it means that a family that has been coming to you for 20 years has to switch to another doctor.'"

Carl