Marx on free trade

William S. Lear rael at zopyra.com
Tue Sep 28 06:56:40 PDT 1999

On Monday, September 27, 1999 at 21:22:31 (-0700) Brad De Long writes:
>I like labor standards and environmental standards when they are
>devices to induce progress in other countries. I don't like them when
>they are excuses for protection.
>
>The line, I admit, is fine, and its location changes day by day...

How can you label labor and environmental standards "excuses for protection", therefore something illiberal and to be avoided? You imply that these standards induce the opposite of "progress" (capital formation?) "in other countries". How is protecting labor and the environment antithetical to progress? Are you a comparative advantage weenie as well as a neoliberal scum?

Bill