Marx on free trade

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 28 07:52:22 PDT 1999

Carl Remick wrote:

>OK, eagle eyes, where is the line located today? This whole flap
>over genetically modified foods, for instance -- do you think
>Europe's opposition to US GM crops and hormone-laden beef reflects
>legitimate scientific worries or sheer protectionism?

I'm not eagle eyes, but... While I'm a lot more wary about biotech than Comrade Heartfield, I think there's also a very interesting psycho-emotional component to the anxiety too: an anxiety about purity and outsiderhood analogous to anxieties about "globalization" and immigration. That is, there was once an Eden of sensitive, localized capitalism that's been destroyed by outsiders - a stance that blocks any consideration of capitalism itself.

Doug