Littleton: it's Adorno's fault <fwd>

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Tue Sep 28 08:07:45 PDT 1999

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 10:23:22 -0400 Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

> This crusty high conservative (a neat epithet there!) wrote many delightful
> musings on art, philosophy, etc. That's my tribute to Adorno -- the same
> tribute I'd give to any writer I like. More than that, I don't think he
> deserves, pace Zizek, Spivak, or any other Adorno fan.

Dieter Misgeld, a student of Habermas's and Gadamer's, once remarked, "It took someone like Adorno to show that what Heidegger was up to was the same old thing." Heidegger's influence was unparalleled at the time. Adorno helped explain what went wrong - both theoretically and politically. So you might want to consider this: Adorno made it possible, in Germany, to read Marx again. Without the FS, a good many of us crusties leftists would be ontologists.

speculatively exaggerated, ken