U.S. prospects

Tue Sep 28 09:37:25 PDT 1999

Though the Louvre Agreement in 1987 (?) was meant to stabilize the dollar at a lower level, it still went into a free fall, right? That forced the US to raise interest rates=> Wall Street into a nosedive. The fear now is that a Wall Street correction this time from higher interest rates (to reattract capital and/or stem inflation after a deep fall in the dollar) would have greater effects on the real economies of the US and the world. Perhaps, perhaps not. The stock market recovered last time within a year, correct?; and with a devalued dollar, US debtors were in a better position vis a vis their international creditors. It seems that the US came out ahead despite a little intervening turbulence.

I just don't see the dollar going into a free fall for a prolonged period or US debt being denominated in anything but dollars or a severe credit cut off; that's all checked by the greater relative hegemony of the the US today than in the mid80s--that was the meaning of the Mowery analysis on the recovery of US technological leadership that I downloaded months ago.

Sure, the rate of growth in the current account deficit needs to be stemmed but that requires a real upturn in Japan and Europe (also required to absorb more of the imports from the now "emerging recovering" markets). So collapse of Japan or Germany still brings the whole thang down. And it is possible that not only will the expansionary policy Summers is pushing for fail to work, it may well exacerbate the breakdown tendency. We'll all be Marxists then.

At any, the US is not going to have a bad name because though a badly indebted whore it's married George Washington into respectability.

> You're right. But what else can you do in this economics game, but
> look for analogies and precedent. There are no reagents, as the man
> said.

Marx did not replace reagents with econometrics but a thought experiment as Paul Mattick, Jr argued in that paper of his you loved!

> Not really. It's because of takeovers and buybacks, the buybacks to
> please the shareholders and because they've got nothing better to do
> with the money (you know, insufficient profitability).

There was that book by Medoff and someone The Indebted Society. From a debt financed buy back, the shareholders get greater value while the firm deducts interest payments from the profit on which it is charged taxes. Something like that. At any rate, US corporate share of taxes is down to 19% from 22% or some such reduction I read in the NYT, no?

> That it is! But George Friedman of Stratfor says we're still early in
> the American Millennium!

But the Frankfurt School is dead, and will remain dead. And if he wrongly thought he was entering a growth market last time, he could be wrong this time too. If only he had written The Political Philosophy of Josef Schumpeter in the early 80s--then I would have trusted him.

Yours, Rakesh