U.S. prospects

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Tue Sep 28 11:18:41 PDT 1999

Doug,

I would be a bit more cautious about dinging the twin deficits theory, if I were you. Certainly it looks pretty empty today with humongous budget surpluses and trade deficits coinciding. But in the early 80s it was not totally ridiculous to associate the increase in the trade deficit with the increase in the budget deficit under Reagan. The theory certainly was there for it: budget deficit to higher interest rates to higher value of dollar and higher trade deficit. And that seems to have been going on, especially prior to the end of 1982.

I would even remind you of the debate you and I had (I think on pkt) back the last time the Fed seriously tightened monetary policy and against standard theory the dollar declined. I argued then, following a rather large pile of literature, that there was no basis for the dollar to keep rising from late 1982 to early 1985, after the Fed eased monetary policy. In one of your truly delightful displays of data wonkery you showed a series of real interest rates showing that real interest rates in the US continued to be high through that period, thus justifying the continuing rise of the dollar (that worsened the trade deficit, with a continuing high budget deficit) through that period. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Monday, September 27, 1999 7:03 PM Subject: U.S. prospects