death list

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Tue Sep 28 11:44:37 PDT 1999

John,

The traditional class hierarchy of churches in the US South is Episcopalians (Church of England), Presbyterians (Scots), Methodists (Low Church of England), and then the Baptists. Only the Presbyterians of that bunch traditionally Calvinists. Oh yeah, Lutherans (Germans) are in there with the Methodists. The Baptists were originally out of Germany and in the US have gone very far away from their roots. I note that the Amish and Mennonites are also of the Anabaptist lineage, and all were persecuted vigorously by the Calvinists in Europe. In Europe the Baptists were social radicals.

The United Church of Christ is Calvinist but more upper class and identified with the northern based Congregationalists, the descendants of the Puritans. BTW, the Methodists are the church whose distribution of membership most closely resembles the overall distribution of the population in the US. Can't get any more middle class than that. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: John K. Taber <jktaber at dhc.net> To: 'lbo_talk' <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Monday, September 27, 1999 9:49 PM Subject: RE: death list