Marx on free trade

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 29 07:48:54 PDT 1999

>Millions of ailing Third
>World people may now begin to recuperate, if pharmaceutical firms follow
>through by dropping their court case against Dlamini-Zuma's Medicines Act
>and if more developing countries take the South African lead.

I don't understand why this supposed settlement between the U.S. and South Africa has met with such rejoicing. As I read it, the U.S. and South Africa have simply agreed to find an agreement on protecting drug makers' interests while serving the needs of South African AIDS patients. It seems to me that the conditions for a continuing impasse remain in place -- that an enormous gulf remains between what drug makers and South African authorities would consider reasonable reimbursement for AIDS medicines. Am I missing something?

Carl