Marx on free trade

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Wed Sep 29 22:00:18 PDT 1999

mbs:
>In this sense I am skeptical (not invariably disbelieving) of all theory
and
>inclined to strive for more matter-of-fact, transparent ways of talking.
>One reason the POMO stuff revolts me so much, incidentally. I also think
>there is a question of vanity in devoting oneself to the Theory of
>Everything. I'd be quite content to have made an important contribution to
>getting universal health care, or juking the public share of GDP up from 30
>to, say, 40 percent. My tombstone don't need much.

Of course, you need a theory to explain why universal health care is good or why juking up the public share of GDP would be a desirable goal. I agree with the narrative that says the reason why theory breaks out in such a virulent way, like a cholera epidemic, after the '60s is that the revolution didn't pan out - in the U.S., France or elsewhere - and the left was rolled back. Looking at it dialectically, it's loss and gain. There's been displacement and a deepening of understanding.

My tombstone shall read either "He partied through the pain" or "Had all the right enemies" or else have some bawdy doggerel or else I'll transfer my brain to a clone husk and ponder theory forever.

peace out, Peter