He's Got the Whole World In His Hands

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Sep 30 07:14:46 PDT 1999

"William S. Lear" wrote:

> What's with all these ex-Marxist apostates?

It would be nice if we could answer that question, for then we might do something to lessen the numbers, but I doubt that we can answer it.

I'll give a wild guess. It comes from holding marxism as a religion promising an inevitable utopia. Then one gradually moves over to a "God that failed" standpoint. And the or a major source of that communism-as-religion is the incorporation into marxism of the bourgeois idea of Progress as built into the very structure of the universe.

Carrol