Stossel/ABC reply

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Thu Sep 30 09:44:22 PDT 1999

This is the response I got from ABC after denouncing Stossel's show. The mucky mucks aren't even keeping tabs on what the public has to say (this response did not acknowledge my criticism) but they are pushing these capitalist think tanks on anyone who responds. Dangerously the whole show appears to have been done so it can be "used" for ABC corporate purposes, to get the show into school textbooks and curriculums.

Marta

Thank you for your e-mail about "IS AMERICA #1?." I'm sorry I can't give you a personal response. I received so much e-mail that it's not possible to reply to them all.

If you would like to purchase a tape or transcript, please call 800/CALL-ABC. The cost is $34.90 for a tape, $17.90 for a transcript--sorry, again.

But happier news: Bob Chitester, of the Palmer R. Chitester Fund, is now preparing to adapt some of my shows for classroom application. Accompanying text material is being developed as well. He needs help. If you have knowledge of the textbook market or an interest in helping to get some of these ideas into schools, please contact him at 800/876-8930.

The following research institutes offer information on liberty:

Acton Institute for the Study of Religion and Liberty 161 Ottawa NW, Suite 301 Grand Rapids, MI 49503 Phone: (616) 454-3080 Fax: (616) 454-9454 Website: www.acton.org E-mail: info at acton.org

The Cato Institute 1000 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W. Washington D.C. 20001-5403 Phone: (202) 842-0200 Fax: (202) 842-3490 Website: www.cato.org

The Foundation for Economic Education 30 South Broadway, Irvington, NY 10533. Phone: (914) 591-7230 Fax: (914) 591-8910; E-mail: freeman at fee.org

The Heartland Institute 19 South LaSalle Street, Suite 903 Chicago, Illinois 60603 Phone: (312) 377-4000 Fax: (312) 377-5000 Website: www.heartland.org E-mail: think at heartland.org

Institute for Justice 1717 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Suite 200 Washington, D.C. 20006 Phone: (202) 955-1300 Fax: (202) 955-1329 Website: www.ij.org E-mail: general at ij.org

The Institute for Humane Studies at George Mason University 4084 University Drive, Suite 101 Fairfax, Virginia 22030-6812 Phone: (703) 934-6920/1-800-697-8799 Fax: (703) 352-7535 Website: www.TheIHS.org Email: ihs at gmu.edu

Mackinac Center for Public Policy 140 West Main Street P.O. Box 568 Midland, MI 48640 Phone: (517) 631-0900 Fax: (517) 631-0964 Website: www.mackinac.org E-mail: mcpp at mackinac.org

Pacific Research Institute for Public Policy 755 Sansome Street, Suite 450 San Francisco, CA 94111 Phone: (415) 989-0833 Fax: (415) 989-2411 Website: www.pacificresearch.org E-mail: pripp at pacificresearch.org

The Reason Foundation-Reason Public Policy Institute 3415 S. Sepulveda Boulevard, Suite 400 Los Angeles, CA 90034 Phone: (310)391-2245 Fax: (310)391-4395 Website: www.reason.org

Sincerely,

John Stossel