Cockburn, Wodehouse, London Sunday Times

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Sep 30 13:37:50 PDT 1999

Alexander Cockburn includes an interesting cite from the Sunday London Times at the end of his column in this week's New York Press defending the honor of PG Wodehouse. I'd love to pass it on, but (a) it seems too good to be true, and (b) I can't find any trace of the article on the Sunday Times website for the 26th, 19th or the 12th. I was wondering if any of our British comrades might have seen this tidbit. Perhaps it is a part of the paper that wasn't posted online? Perhaps Alex is thinking of a different paper? Any suggestions appreciated.

>From this week's Cockburn column in the New York Press:

<quote>

Last week I discussed the broadcasts made by P.G. Wodehouse from Berlin in 1941, which would have led to his prosecution as a traitor, had he returned to England after the war. My own view, these days, that they were harmless is buttressed by the disclosure in the London _Sunday Times_ last week by Philip Norman that instructors in psych-war and propaganda techniques in the UK have used these same broadcoats by Wodehouse as superb examples of how to undercut and render ridiculous the persons -- in this case the Nazis -- who thought the broadcasts were doing them good.

<endquote>

Michael