Littleton: it's Adorno's fault

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Thu Sep 30 17:02:02 PDT 1999

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999 curtiss_leung at ibi.com wrote:

> his works first appeared has come to pass. But aside from helping to
> (gulp!) _identify_ these processes as they emerge, I'm not certain what
> applications Adorno's thought has. You've mentioned you work as an
> organizer -- do you find applications of Adorno's thought in that work?

Yes. Organizing grads means you have to deal with very driven, professional types, who identify strongly with their field and their skills. It's identity politics all over the place. What you *don't* do is ladle Adorno out in administered doses, like some latterday Little Red Book. What you do is put the ideal of global solidarity into practice, in small little ways, and on countless local levels. It ain't heroic. It ain't televised. It will never appear on CNN or attend a news conference or issue its own IPO. But it's the only thing which can fight the global system on its own global terrain. Theory is not a blueprint which you simply follow, i.e. a corporate business plan; it's a set of tools which you have to master by hard work and lots of practice, and then use in your own way to Fight the Power.

-- Dennis