Meszaros, progress

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Thu Sep 30 20:39:37 PDT 1999

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999 23:02:53 -0400 t byfield <tbyfield at panix.com> wrote:

> the clok has been running backward only if you view the telos
> of human activity as being leisure time. if you don't view it
> that way--and i don't--it's been running in so many different
> directions and at so many different rates that 'backward' is,
> for all intents and purposes, a random direction.

What are you saying? You meet that if I sit above a galactic cluster it moves clokwise and if I sit below it it moves counterclokwise? No!!! "I refuse." What was it Galileo said under his breath? "It moves..."

And of course I agree with the telos of human action being leisure time. So much so that leisure time is often spent avoid even leisure time! Maybe that's not right though. Perhaps the telos of human action is evil. Yes, that's it. We're all always up to no good (which is to say, we're all up to the privation of goodness) (that's goodness with a small g ... we don't want to end up in Plato's Republic by accident).

> and capitalism hasn't done *anything* in order to accomplish
> anything else. maybe *capitalists* have, but that's hardly a
> subtle distinction.

So much for autonomous subsystems.... Let's see... if I have a social system without the social world what do I get? Hmmm.... UTOPIA. Yes, by the souls of my feet, capitalism without capitalists is perfection. Damn human beings... always getting in the way of perfectly greased machines.

> technical advance is a two-edged sword (at least)...

Which is always so frustrating for our "ethics of care" communities... Let's see what happens when you put a rocket engine on top of a Ford and point it toward a cliff.

> and no one worth paying much attention to ever said that
we'd have our cake and eat it too.

But lot's of people get a lot of attention if they say that "we eat where we shit."

b.y.o.s. ken