Marx on free trade

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Thu Sep 30 23:08:58 PDT 1999

>>[Peter Kilander:] Of course, you need a theory to explain why universal
>>health care is good or
>>why juking up the public share of GDP would be a desirable goal.

>[Carl]
>I don't think so. I would argue a moral awakening in the answer.

So what's your theory behind that? Theoretically, how would we encourage a moral awakening? Do we simply wait for it to occur?

One could argue that people (the ruling class notwithstanding, especially ex-Marxists) are plenty moral right now, they just don't have the right information about which actions would bring about the desirable moral outcomes - this in terms of politics and public policy. They don't have the correct theory or theories which would translate their private moral views into the public good. They're under the sway of ideology, the hoariest of which is anti-intellectualism, I might add.