you know....

John Kawakami johnk at cyberjava.com
Sun Apr 2 00:10:49 PST 2000

>i never used to watch the television much. or even listen to commercial
>radio. but now i've got to be on top of both for my job. so i'm tuned
>into cnn, etc all the time. has CNN always been about the fooking market
>or what? i don't recall this aspect of it. i mean, it's all about
>watching the market. and then i tune into internet radio for breaking news
>for daily reports i do.....and that's all they friggin talk about too!!
>how are the stocks doing.

People like to hear shit about things that will affect them economically. The rise in stock ownership means that people are interested in the stock markets, and they make good "content" (aka filler between ads).

You should get a load of people who are into owning individual stocks (rather than mutual funds or similar products). It's more exciting than horse racing or sports betting. There are more stats, and it's easier to have more "bets" going at one time. To someone who's not into it (which is most people), it's impenetrable and numbing.