Fwd: interviews for USWA organizing internships

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Apr 2 15:01:33 PDT 2000

[Jennifer Luff asked me to post this.]

Friends:

The United Steelworkers of America is recruiting summer organizing interns, and we're looking for committed activists to do research and work in the field on campaigns. Please see our posting below. I will be interviewing candidates at the NYU teach-in on Saturday, April 7, and at the IMF mobilization beginning April 14. If you are interested in the job or know of good candidates, please get in touch with me to set up a time for an interview. Many thanks -

Jennifer Luff USWA 412-562-1178 office 412-999-2830 cell jluff at uswa.org email

Organizing Internships

Position Organizing Internships - Summer 2000

Employer United Steelworkers of America

Organizing Department

Location Various

Duties: Interns will conduct industry, corporate, and field research to support strategic organizing efforts and campaigns. Interns will also assist USWA organizers in the field on organizing campaigns, and will have the opportunity to develop organizing skills and experience.

Qualifications: Upper-level undergraduate or graduate studies in social sciences, labor relations, journalism, law, or business, or equivalent experience. Experience in union or community organizing, political action, or student activism preferred. Fluency in languages other than English a plus. Commitment to labor movement, willingness to travel, and ability to manage diverse projects and responsibilities required.

Excellent analytical, computer, and communications skills required. Women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply.

Salary: $500 per week, plus housing.

Deadline: April 21, 2000

Contact Please send resume and letter of interest to:

Jennifer Luff

Organizing Department

United Steelworkers of America

5 Gateway Center