non-commutativity in the brain (was: Plato/Chomsky/numbers, oh my)

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 3 19:37:30 PDT 2000

Why all the long song and dance? There are lots of non-commutative operators both in and outside of math. Division and subtraction are non-commutative 6 divided by 3 is not equal to 3 divided by 6. 6 minus 3 is not equal 3 minus 6. So what would be so strange about the brain employing non-commutative operators? The logical operator "if ---- then" is not commutative either. In ordinary language there are many non-commutative operators. If x is the sist er of y it does not follow that y is the sister of x. What would be surprising to me is if there were no non-commutative operations in the brain. Why is commutativity given such status?