The China Syndrome - meltdown in the movement (fwd)

Rakesh Bhandari bhandari at Princeton.EDU
Tue Apr 4 07:03:17 PDT 2000

> It's perfectly fine with me that a more dialectically advanced
>capitalist state should extort concessions from a less dialectically
>advanced one.

I ask for a clarfication of boddhi's position, and I get drivel like this.

I would much rather live under U.S. capitalist-dominated
>rules than the caprices of the Red Mandarins who rule the PRC. Low-wage,
>one-party oligarchies like Mexico and China have only one real export and
>that is oppression.

Would you please elaborate on how the concessions for which the US and the EU are fighting in China will improve life there?

Whether they got the technology from us and developed
>it themselves or whether they are simply foreign subsidiaries of the
>capitalist oppression industry makes no difference to me.

So the criterion is whether it makes any difference to you?

As for the supposed protections from the capitalist system
>you denote, U.S. capitalists are simply demanding a portion of the powers
>now enjoyed solely by the sultans of Chinese Communist Party.

So how do the specific US and EU demands help the workers' struggle in either China or the West? Please clarify. And where there are tradeoffs, such as export of some Boeing technology or production, please make an argument on behalf of the West's position.

The U.S. system may not be any bargain for
>working people but if bourgeois democracy is political usury, one-party
>oligarchy is simple criminality.

Why will exclusion from the WTO bring an end to "usury, one party oligarchy"? Please lay out the logic of your argument here.

First-world capitalism may be the engine of world
>oppression but at least we're riding up front, where they take your ticket
>politely.

Well there's no doubt that communism has been the workers' nightmare. But that doesn't mean capitalism is not imperialism, expansionist, intent on a setting up a world division of labor that only suits the interests of the most developed nations.

> We have to put as much humanizing pressure as possible on regimes like
>the Chinese, even if that pressure is imperfect.

Well rejection of PMFN status and non application to WTO may only embolden the most militaristic and reactionary segments of the Chinese ruling class which will try to create a regional market through force if the US cannot be counted on. You have yet to make an argument that the concessions the US and EU want are humanizing.

Rakesh