non-commutativity in the brain

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Tue Apr 4 10:12:06 PDT 2000

I certainly am not and do not pretend to be an expert on the subject of the article. I merely wondered why people should be surprised that the brain should have some type of non-commutative processing facility given that there are plenty of mathematical and non-mathematical examples of non-commutative operators. Certainly you are right. This does not make the subject of rotations and non-commutativity any simpler. My talk of the "long song and dance" was meant to refer only to the opening parts of your post that explain at some length the difference between commutative and non-commutative operations. It must have been misleading. I didn't mean to lecture or you or comment on how many posts you make! I don't even pretend to understand the details of the article. Perhaps I was wrong but I thought that you were implying that there is something special and difficult about non-commutative relations per se. I don't think that there is but that does not contradict your point that the problem of rotation and non-commutativity is a difficult one, and one that I must admit I know nothing about.