God's country

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Tue Apr 4 14:42:17 PDT 2000

>On Behalf Of Carl Remick
> >
> >Two of Three Americans Feel Religion Can Answer Most of Today's Problems
>
> Here I was, feeling pretty good about the market's nosedive. Now I'm
> depressed all over again.

Why the hostility to religion? For all the zeolots blathering about the damnation of homosexuality, there are many others who remember "turn the other cheek" or "blessed are the poor" in their thoughts and actions. And there are plenty of scummy, selfish Randian anti-religion zeolots, so secularism is hardly a prescription for either intelligent or generous action in this country.

Maybe I was blessed (sic) by having a completely secular upbringing, since I developed neither the zeolatry of a believer nor the hostility of an ex-religionist.

An American left need not be dominated by religion, but if it is stocked with anti-religious breast-beating, it is guaranteed to fail in a country where expressed religious belief and church-going is among the highest of any country.

-- Nathan Newman