Matter & Memory

Tue Apr 4 14:21:47 PDT 2000

Searle's argument proves that a collection of electro-chemically activated cells can fulfill the functions of a mind without anything within the collection comprehending *anything.* That means we have no basis for believing that brains "think," i.e. engage in cognition. Now, do you have any response to this argument? Or, rather, does the collection of cells in your head that simulates cognition produce an output?

Brad DeLong