Circular firing squads

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Wed Apr 5 17:55:30 PDT 2000

The left seems to have a fatal attraction for circular firing squads. Naomi Klein, Ralph Nader, and many others seem to come under continual attack. I liked Klein's book. I mentioned earlier that appreciate much that Nader has done.

When I went to my first meetings of the Union of Radical Political Economists many decades ago, I was struck by how many young economists wanted to take on Paul Sweezy.

I don't see anything wrong with criticizing somebody's ideas or their political strategy, but I am taken aback by the eagerness with which people seem to want to take down others without separating their shortcomings from the rest of their existence.

Am I the only one who sees this as destructive? --

Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University michael at ecst.csuchico.edu Chico, CA 95929 530-898-5321 fax 530-898-5901