Targetting US sweatshops (Another Victory (fwd)

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Thu Apr 6 11:29:26 PDT 2000

For those who worry that antisweatshop or campus movements target only foreign labor problems, here's a nice victory on behalf of local campus workers, not unique in the connection between rising campus sweatshop campaigns and fights on behalf of local labor struggles -- N

---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 12:23:44 -0400 From: scorpion <starc at frognet.net> To: A info <a-infos at lists.tao.ca>,

Student Activist Network <san-d at lists.tao.ca>,

USAS listserv <USAS at listbot.com> Subject: [USAS] Another Victory

U.S.A.S. - http://www.umich.edu/~sole/usas

Another win. Forwarded from Wesleyan students message follows *** VICTORY FOR WESLEYAN WORKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

At 9:30 last night - after 33 hours of occupying our school's admissions office - Wesleyan students declared victory in our fight for workers'rights on campus.

We had been concerned that Initial, the contractor that employs our school's janitors, wouldn't agree to better wages and benefits unless Wesleyan agreed to pay for them. Last night, our president called Initial and told them he would foot the bill for the janitors' proposed contract. Within hours, the contract was signed. In addition, President Bennet signed a statement saying that ALL contracted campus workers would retain their jobs, wages and benefits if the university switched contractors. This means that Wesleyan can't simply drop Initial and hire a nonunion contractor. Bennet also agreed to pay for a similar contract for another group of janitors that cleans our gym, and we set up a committee to write a comprehensive labor code of conduct for the school by April 23. So far, we have faced no legal or disciplinary action.

This was an amazing victory, and we want to thank everyone who sent messages of solidarity, wrote to President Bennet, or visited our occupation. Your support means SO MUCH to us.

If anyone is planning a similar action, let us know - we'd love to help.

Thanks again to everyone.

HASTA LA VICTORIA SIEMPRE!

United Student Labor Action Coalition

----- End forwarded message -----

-- ÐÏࡱá

______________________________________________________________________ To unsubscribe, write to USAS-unsubscribe at listbot.com ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Advertisement: Workstation with Monitor under $800! So, you just heard that you need to add how many new workstations by the end of next week? Check out the bundle below. It includes everything you need to get everyone up and running quickly. http://www.listbot.com/links/cdw5