lbo-talk-digest V1 #2814

N P Childs npchilds at connect.ab.ca
Thu Apr 6 17:04:56 PDT 2000

>It is this sort of scheme that informs Pound's Cantos and innumerable
>fascist sympathizers of the last century. The belief in fiat money, if
>taken seriously by someone who can think out implications at least
>partially, leads to the support of a state power that can froce people
>to honor that fiat money (thus achieving the transfer of resources
>Doug speaks of).Wasn't there a Social-Credit party in Canada?
>
>Carrol

In name at any rate, there still is in some of the provinces, although the wacko right wing has been taken over by the 'Alliance Party' formerly the Reform party. Reform supposedly doesn't exist at the provincial level, instead that have 'Progressive Conservative' (yes, we know it's an oxymoron, it's a long standing Canadian political joke, like the senate and 'parliamentary democracy') governments to do their bidding for them. The Socreds here have tried to re-group, although even people in Alberta have trouble with a party that seems to exist solely to make abortions illegal and lynching homosexuals a state obligation.

The joke here in Alberta is that we have a Conservative premier, who used to be a Liberal, running a Reform party government.

A new history of the Social Credit party (Socred for short, Union Nationale in Quebec) just came out and it does a good job of exposing the quasi fascist roots of the party (anti-semitism, fervorous evangelical Christianity, press censorship, bizarre economics). The socreds disappeared from the federal political scene in the 1980 federal election (after holding the balance of power in Parliament oddly enough) and the last provincial Socred government at the provincial self-immolated under Bill Vander Zalm in the early 1990's. The Reform-Alliance party rose from their ashes and from alienated Conservatives in the late 1980's-1990's.

PC N Paul Childs 5967-157 Avenue Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5Y 2P3

'It has to start somewhere. It has to start some time. What better place than here? What better time than now?'

-RATM, Guerrilla Radio