The Lorain Beryllium Disaster

Tom Lehman uswa12 at Lorainccc.edu
Fri Apr 7 05:38:24 PDT 2000

I came across this little gem in the September 7, 1948 minutes of the Lorain city council. It refers to the aftermath of the Brush Beryllium plant disaster.

"The Brass Foundry has been dismantled and there were approximately 11,000 persons X-rayed; the official report of the X-ray survey will be available within about three weeks."

I wondered why so many people re-called this event, know I know.

Btw, I'm still looking around for municipal ordinaces or zoning codes that ban beryllium or similar materials.

Tom