Klein & radicalism

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Fri Apr 7 10:46:25 PDT 2000

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Naomi Klein said on my radio show last night that over the last few
> weeks she's noticed that when she talks to student audiences, she's
> now getting the objection: "You keep talking about corporations. But
> isn't the real problem capitalism?" Things are happening out there...

I get this too. I think this is a good warning to all you activists and theorists over the age of 30. I'm 34 and I've been thinking about how times have changed since the Reagan/Cold War 80s. I'm so used to tempering what I say and describing anarchism in layperson's terms, because I remember being yelled at to "go back to the Soviet Union" and so on.

Generation X hasn't been indoctrinated in anti-communism and anti-radicalism. Many of them even missed out on the flag-waving Gulf War stuff.

Well, at least it's nice being out of the closet at work. Since the Post article, there are a few people who are cold to me (mostly white conservative males) but the response from other folks has been surprisingly positive. One guy asked me to speak to his history class and an African American woman came by and said "right on," that my social activities made her think back to Washington, DC in the early 70s.

So, now is the time for us to come out of our shells and start being more aggressive about our politics!

The young folks want to talk about destroying capitalism, so are we going to help them figure out what to do, or spout more academic leftism at them?

<< Chuck0 >>

This was the year *everything* changed.

-- Commander Ivanova, 2261

Mid-Atlantic Infoshop -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/

Homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe