Klein & radicalism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 7 12:00:30 PDT 2000

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>That does not sound very encouraging at all. Corporations are real
>entities with names and addresses, endowed with material resources, whereas
>capitalism is well.... and abstraction, a heuristic model if you will.

No, I think you've got this wrong. There's a certain kind of petit bourgeois radicalism that was popular in the late 80s and early 90s that railed against "corporations" as usurpers and besmirchers of the beauties of the Smithian market. See, for example, David Korten and the International Forum on Globalization - and, for that matter, Ralph Nader, who seems to think competition is a good thing. I think this shift from corps->K'ism signifies something deeper - a critical look at the system of monetization and commodification that's regulated by competitive markets. It's looking at underlying social relations rather than the scope of enterprise, and I think it's a very welcome development.

Doug