Klein & radicalism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 7 13:05:55 PDT 2000

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>I see your point & agree with it to an extent. But it is one thing to use
>a heuristic model or a metaphor to emphasize a structural problem that may
>not be visible to a naked eye, but quite a different one to attack that
>problem with specific demands and counterproposals.

Well yeah. But to take a specific recent issue or two: there was a lot of anti-Shell activism going on after Nigeria hanged Ken Saro-Wiwa. But what do you do instead? Buy gas from Exxon Mobil? What about Nike? Is the world that much better if you buy New Balance instead? There's a difference between using Shell & Nike as negative exempla of capitalist behavior in general and thinking that it's possible to differentiate between good & bad corporate citizens. Obviously this insight has to be developed into a real political strategy, but it seems like a good start.

Doug